Placement Stability Project: A trauma-infomred, adoption-competent response to improve well-being for youth in foster care.
The Placement Stability Project aims to improve placement stability and permanence by enhancing the social and emotional well-being, and restoring developmentally appropriate functioning, of Vermont’s children and youth who are pre and post permanence, with the broader vision to reach all children in the Vermont child welfare system through the implementation of family engaged, adoption competent, trauma Informed, and evidence based services and supports.
- Implement universal mental health and trauma screening for children and youth in custody •Implement a standard process of referral for standardized mental health, trauma, and well-being assessments for youth indicated through screening.
- Implement family-engaged, collaborative case planning for target populations, incorporating data from screening and assessment tools
- Implement progress monitoring that: (a) informs case planning and (b) assists the child welfare system in understanding and improving service efficacy.
- Improve access to evidence-informed/based treatment and services for child welfare involved children and caregivers that are family engaged, adoption competent, trauma Informed, and evidence based matching the needs of target population.
Theory of Change:
- Foundational Workforce Training and Supports
- Interdisciplinary Leadership & Collaboration
- Secondary Traumatic Stress
- Trauma informed, adoption competency (see last page of document)
- Screening, Assessment , and Progress Monitoring for youth in custody
- Utilize the SDQ,& ASQ-SE as mental health screening and funtional assessment. Use Child PTSD symptom scale to screen for trauma.
- Develop database to support progress monitoring
- Collaborative Case Planning
- Support use of CANS as case planning tool
- Implement pilot of Team Decision Making to improve placement stability
- Evidence Based/informed Child Trauma Treatment
- Ensure adequate foundational training for MH to implement ARC
- Maintain momentum for ARC through TA and consultation
- Offer regional trainings to increase access to ARC across Vermont
- Caregiver Training, Supports and Mentoring
- Advanced Evidence Informed Behavior Management Training for caregivers (RPC plus CARE)
- Caregiver Mentoring Program