This 3.5-HOUR CLASS is strongly suggested for families that are providing foster care that hope to provide permanent homes for children through adoption or permanent guardianship. It is designed to help families prepare for this on-going commitment.
Any family who signs an Intent to Adopt form signifying their intent to adopt a child or youth in DCF custody must complete the Fostering to Forever Training before the subsidy and adoption is finalized.
This class is currently a 1 classroom session and is taken after Foundations. Here is an overview of what is covered in this class and the resource manual:
- Things to Consider When Making the Move to Permanency
- Working with Families
- Permanent Guardianship
- Local Connections and Supports for Foster Families
If it doesn’t work for you to attend the in person training please connect with your Project Family Worker to explore the possibility of taking this course online.
Families Forever (Online Course)
Families Forever is an online offering, designed specifically for families that are adopting after a Conditional Custody Order. It is designed to assist families in understanding and preparing for the lifelong journey of adoption.
Any family who signs an Intent to Adopt form signifying their intent to adopt a child or youth in custody through a Conditional Custody Order must complete the Families Forever online training before the adoption is finalized.
The class will take approximately 3 hours to complete and will provide families with the following:
- An overview of the adoption process in the state of Vermont
- An awareness of the differences between care of a child within the Conditional Custody Order and the commitment of Adoption
- An understanding of what the relative child/youth’s perspective will be as they move into their permanent home.
- An opportunity to explore a family’s strengths and challenges as they move into adoption
- An explanation of the Seven Core Issues of Adoption and how they relate to children and families
- A series of suggestions for Talking with Your Child about The Tough Stuff and Adoption
- A connection to the Pre and Post Adoption resources available to adoptive parents
- An explanation of the DCF policies and practices as they apply to families
To self-enroll, please visit http://training.vermontcwtp.org/